The number of individuals who have contracted fungal meningitis from contaminated spiral steroid injections has now exceeded 105 individuals. As of four hours ago, the numbers exceeded 94 individuals who had been confirmed by the Centers For Disease Control as having contracted the disease with seven deaths. The New England Compounding Center (NECC) the Framingham Massachusetts based pharmacy that made the contaminated injections recalled all of its products yesterday afternoon. According to health officials, 76 medical facilities in 23 states received the contaminated steroid injections. Individuals have died in Maryland, Tennessee, Michigan and Virginia. Drugs manufactured by compound pharmacies do not have to go through FDA mandated pre-market approval. Instead, health pharmacy boards are responsible for the oversight and licensing of these pharmacies. Compound pharmacies create customized medication solutions for patients for whom ordinary pharmaceuticals don’t work. Meningitis is an inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. It is usually caused by an infection and frequently with a virus or bacteria. It can also be caused by fungi. Symptoms of fungal meningitis include fever, headaches or a stiff neck and general bodily pain. In addition, individuals may also experience confusion, dizziness and discomfort from bright lights. The Centers For Disease Control are examining the Framingham labs for contamination and have found fungi in sealed viles but have not determined the source yet.