GM recall victims get another month to file claims for compensation

Ken Feinberg, the victim compensation attorney appointed by GM to run the program, said late Sunday he will now accept claims filed through Jan. 31, a month later than the initial Dec. 31 deadline.

General Motors has extended the date for victims to file claims for damages sustained as a result of the GM defective ignition switches. So far  about 1,800 claims have been filed and 67 accepted including 32 death claims

GM has mailed nearly 4.5 million current and previous owners of its car problems and more notices are on their way.

The extension is “out of an abundance of caution,” he said, and the number of people who could file a claim but do not receive a letter about the program “appear(s) to be very few in number.”

The program began accepting claims on Aug. 1.

Jeffrey Newman represents whistleblowers